Finding Ethically produced outdoor gear that still performs well is a real challenge, and sometimes it's hard to know which to give up. Not so with Paramo. Paramo are the leading ethically producers of waterproof clothing both in terms of the labour and production and in terms fo the environmental impact of the materials they use. We are so proud and excited to be offering some of their products.
This particular jacket has been top of a certain staff members wish list for many years, its real strengths lie in just how breathable it is compared to other equivalently waterproof jackets making ideal for drizzly cycle adventures where you don't want to get too hot and sweaty but can't be bothered to keep stopping to put your rain coat back on.
We really love the quality of the materials in these jackets and the lack of thick plastic linings means that they will last a very long time before they need replacing.
What Paramo say:
The Men's Velez Adventure Smock is designed to be used for a wide range of outdoor activities, including walking, cycling, climbing and snow sports. Full directional waterproof performance gives weather protection and perspiration removal and is combined with excellent ventilation via Páramo’s unique front twin zip design. A roll-away hood with wired peak plus generous easy access pockets enhance its suitability for a broad spectrum of activities.
- Excellent field of vision and protection provided by fully adjustable roll-away hood with wired peak.
- Fully articulated shoulders and elbows for maximum freedom of movement and optimum fit.
- Two-way twin front zips with inner, poppered baffles allow venting for maximum temperature control even on the move.
- Easy adjust velcro cuffs with BiteTab closure.
- Double-layer lining either side of spine and on shoulders, for technical rucksack use.
- Cropped front for maximum freedom of movement.
- Drop tail with hem draw-cord for lower back protection.
- Reflective piping (front and back) for maximum visibility.
- Single hand adjustment throughout.
- Large ‘dry’ zipped chest pocket for OS maps, snacks, compass, etc.
- Inner ‘dry’, zipped pocket for storage and hand-warming – also fits an OS map.
Nikwax Analogy® is more than just breathable, it is directional, movingliquid water
Conventional breathable membrane waterproof fabrics fail because they cannot remove all of the sweat we produce when we are working hard, especially in cold and wet conditions. Therefore condensation and icing are well known problems experienced with membrane rainwear.
Nikwax Analogy® overcomes these problems because it is not only breathable, but also directional. The Analogy fabric system directs condensation and perspiration away from the body, where it can safely drain away.
To understand the difference between directionality and breathability, read more here.
This garment is made by the charitable Miquelina Foundation
Páramo’s ethical manufacturing partnership with the Miquelina Foundation in Bogotá, Colombia, gives vulnerable women training and employment, and helps to care for and educate their children. Since 1992, Páramo’s cooperation with Miquelina has benefitted thousands of women and children in very practical ways, with factory profits funding housing projects, a kindergarten and a canteen for local children. With Páramo’s encouragement, Miquelina holds ISO 9001 accreditation, assuring dedication to quality. Click here for more information…