The Halcon is ideal for country activities from walking to nature watching & photography.
Country activities involve exertion while moving, then being stationary for long periods. To remain comfortable, you need efficient moisture control to prevent chilling, and ventilation options to reduce clothing changes. Essential equipment needs to be within easy reach with minimal disruption.
Tough directional Nikwax Analogy® Waterproof fabric gives dry comfort, with easy temperature control provided by vents. The Halcon offers carefully planned pocketing.
For every Halcon sold a sapling is planted by Trees for Life - click here to find out about their work.
The Halcon Jacket has plentiful pockets, good ventilation options and a well-designed hood.
- Excellent, easily accessible storage from nine well-placed pockets, including fleece-lined handwarming pockets.
- Additional ventilation which limits the need for clothing changes from upper arm vents, two way front zip and sleeves that can be pushed up for cooling.
- Uninterrupted vision in all weathers due to the fully-adjustable hood with wired peak which moves with you and folds into a fleecy collar.
The Halcon is square cut and designed for men but lots of women love it too.
Nikwax Analogy Waterproof fabric is more than just breathable, it is directional.
This means it is capable of moving liquid water away from your body and not just water vapour.
It is essential to avoid a build-up of water in your clothing system when you are working hard, as too much retained moisture will lead to your body rapidly chilling when you stop and rest.
In conventional clothing systems, approximately 20% of sweat production is dealt with effectively, leaving the remaining 80% trapped inside.
Nikwax Analogy garments are unique, in that they pump out this 80% of liquid water and allow it to drain away; you are left feeling dry and comfortable.
An added advantage is that the fabric is quiet and flexible, unlike stiffer membranes or laminates. This makes it an ideal choice for wildlife watchers.
Read more here on the difference between directionality and breathability.
In what kind of weather conditions can I use my Halcon jacket?
Your Halcon Jacket has been tested at the Leeds University Rain Room to resist at least 4 hours of steady rain. You can use it throughout the year in cold or wet conditions.
Because the fabric system offers significant insulation when the ventilation zips are closed, this is not the best garment to deal with very hot conditions. In that case we would recommend a Nikwax® Windproof, perhaps combined with one of our Parameta® T+ baselayers, to optimise breathability and cooling, or with Nikwax® Fleece for full weather protection.
- Fully adjustable, roll-away hood with wired peak for excellent field of vision and fit.
- Fleece-lined collar for extra comfort.
- Articulated shoulders and sleeves for maximum movement.
- Two-way reversed zip with poppered internal storm flap allows ventilation and access to inner layers.
- Upper arm vents allow venting and temperature control.
- Increased comfort when load-carrying from reinforced shoulder construction and removable foam insert strips in back.
- Easily adjustable cuff design allows sleeves to be pushed or rolled up for cooling.
- Excellent weather protection from 2” drip skirt and scooped tail.
- Additional temperature control from single-handed concealed waist and hem drawcord pulls.
- Nine well-placed pockets:
- Two external secure and ‘dry’ breast pockets large enough for field guides, OS map storage etc.
- A large and secure internal mesh breast pocket.
- ‘Dry’ storage from two large bellows pockets with secure fold-over tops with poppers.
- Two zipped and fleece-lined handwarming pockets located behind bellows pockets.
- Two low level capacious inner mesh pockets.
Sustainability and ethics
Páramo clothing does not rely on hazardous PFC treatments for water repellency.
Working closely with Nikwax, we have developed a pioneering PFC-free treatment for our fleeces, waterproofs and windproofs. Recent studies show that PFC’s are persistent in the environment and are damaging to human health; which is why Nikwax waterproofing solutions are water-based, use no harmful solvents or propellant gases, contain no damaging PFC’s and are not tested on animals.
For more information on Páramo and PFC’s click here.
This garment is made by the charitable Miquelina Foundation.
Páramo’s ethical manufacturing partnership with the Miquelina Foundation in Bogotá, Colombia, has offered vulnerable women training and employment since 1992. This alliance has benefitted thousands of at-risk women in practical ways, helping them to build houses, and providing a kindergarten and canteen for their children. With Páramo’s support, Miquelina holds ISO 9001 accreditation, which assures dedication to quality. In 2017, Miquelina attained guaranteed Fair Trade status from the World Fair Trade Organisation. Click here for more information.
All Páramo garments are covered by our Recycling Scheme, which prevents them from ending up in landfill. For every item of Páramo clothing you recycle with us, you will receive a voucher of (up to) £50, to use against a future purchase.
Nikwax Analogy fabric systems are uniquely suited to recycling as they avoid the need for mixed materials, membranes or taped seams. Instead, they use 100% polyester, which unlike many materials, can be broken down and reformed into new, high quality fibres. Click here to read more about recycling your Páramo.