Paramo's Halkon is the ideal waterproof for people who love the experience of being immersed in nature - long hill walks, birdwatching or wildlife photography. It's perfect for crisp UK winters, Spring rain or Autumn storms.
The Halkon has no less than nine pockets for essential gubbins - phone, binoculars, map, hankie, flask, cheese & pickle sandwiches and the like. The thought that's gone into the details is impressive: fleece lining around the collar for extra comfort; flexible ventilation options; extra padding around the shoulder and back to give you extra support when you've got a pack on your back. And, of course, the Halkon is made using Paramo's Analogy fabric - waterproof, breathable and super-comfortable - giving it the edge over equivalent laminate jackets.
A bit more about Analogy Fabric...
Paramo's directional Nikwax Analogy® Waterproof fabric is fully waterproof, but its unique technology is more sensitive to active use. In conventional clothing systems, approximately 20% of sweat production is dealt with effectively, leaving the remaining 80% trapped inside.Nikwax Analogy garments are unique, in that they pump out this 80% of liquid water and allow it to drain away; you stay dry and comfortable, even after stretches of high intensity activity.
The Halkon has three layers - the outer layer is proofed with Nikwax, so in moderate rain it is water-repellant in the same way as a hard-shell jacket. In heavier weather, the super-wicking Nikwax Analogy Waterproof fabric takes over. More than just breathable, Analogy is directional, meaning it takes liquid water away from your body and not just water vapour
A bit more about Paramo's ethics & commitment to sustainability...
Páramo's pioneering treatment for waterproofs and windproofs use no harmful solvents or propellant gases, contain no damaging PFC’s and are not tested on animals. For more information on Páramo and PFC’s click here.
This garment is made by the charitable Miquelina Foundation in Bogotá, Colombia, offering vulnerable women training and employment since 1992. This alliance has benefitted thousands of at-risk women in practical ways, helping them to build houses, and providing a kindergarten and canteen for their children. With Páramo’s support, Miquelina holds ISO 9001 accreditation, which assures dedication to quality. In 2017, Miquelina attained guaranteed Fair Trade status from the World Fair Trade Organisation.
Páramo garments are covered by their Recycling Scheme, so if you upgrade, your old coat won't end up in landfill. For every item of Páramo clothing recycled through the scheme, you get a voucher of (up to) £50, to use against a future purchase. And, as a nice extra touch, for every Halkon sold a sapling is planted by Trees for Life - click here to find out more about Paramo's ethical stance.
- Made with Analogy fabric: lightweight, breathable, durable and most importantly, rustle-free, so you don’t disturb your peaceful surroundings.
- Designed for use throughout the year in cold or wet conditions. Tested at Leeds University Rain room to resist at least 4 hours of steady rain (as a three-layer jacket this isn’t designed to be worn in hotter climates)
- Two external zippered breast pockets large enough for an OS map; two poppered front pockets for easy access; two zipped and fleece-lined handwarming pockets behind the front pockets; two inner mesh pockets at waist height, and a larger interior mesh breast pocket.
- Articulated shoulders and sleeves allow maximum movement; reinforced shoulder construction and foam insert strips sewn into the back offer a nice bit of additional comfort when you're carrying a rucksack.and
- The cuffs are adjustable, long enough to cover your gloves and prevent water seeping in.
- Fully adjustable, roll-away hood with wired peak for excellent field of vision and fit. Fleece-lined collar for extra comfort.
- Flexible ventilation systems so you can keep yourself at a comfortable temperature: two-way reversed zip with poppered internal storm flap allows ventilation and access to inner layers; upper arm vents let in extra air.
- Square cut a touch longer than the Velez smocks, extending down over your hips – giving added protection from pesky drips.