Nikwax Down Proof helps to keep you warm, comfortable and dry when using down-filled items. To first wash your gear use Down Wash Direct.
Easy to use, safe, high performance wash in waterproofing for down filled clothing and gear.
When Down gets wet, it starts to mat, instantly reducing its thermal properties. Lose the loft, you lose the heat, water conducts heat away from the body up to 25 times faster than air. So, If you want your down products sleeping bags, coats, to keep on keeping you warm, make sure you regularly use down proof.
We recommend Nikwax as it's water-based, non-flammable, and doesn't use solvents or fluorocarbons. Nikwax Down Proof is designed to provide Durable Water Repellency to both the outdoor fabric and the fill It leaves a protective coating on each of the down filaments and fabric fibres, so it protects them from moisture, while allowing the fabric to breathe.
Before proofing, make sure you wash your gear first with Down Wash Direct as dirt can also mean your coat or sleeping bag becomes damp more easily and damp gear doesn't keep you as warm.
It's also part of our commitment to prolonging the life of your outdoor gear. Buy once; buy the best you can afford; and then make it last!
Machine-washing your down items with Nikwax Down Proof
- Remove all soapy residue from the detergent dispenser.
- Place clean item in washing machine (maximum 1 item).
- Use 150ml for 1 item.
- Set the machine to a 30C synthetic cycle and slow spin.
- After the cycle has finished, spin repeatedly, each time gradually increasing the spin speed, to leach off the excess water.
Hand-washing your down items with Nikwax Down Proof
- Use hand-hot water.
- For clothing, use 150ml per item in a bowl or 300ml per 2 items in the bath. Make sure the items are fully submerged.
- For sleeping bags*: Use 300ml in 4cm deep water in a bath.
- Give the water a good stir, soak for 5-10 minutes, then mix it up.
- Rinse in cold water until water runs clear. For sleeping bags repeat rinsing process, drain and gently press bag to expel water.
- To drain off the excess water spin dry in a washing machine, using multiple spin cycles, gradually increasing the spin speed as it dries.