A straw you can drink any water through? You are thirsty up a mountain, whether in the Andes, the Amazon or just above Ambleside we all know what it feels like to get thirsty but have run out of water.
LifeStraw is a portable water filter that effectively removes all bacteria and parasites responsible for causing common intestitanal diseases. LifeStraw requires no electrical power or spare parts and can be carried around for easy access to safe and clean water.
We aren't just talking getting the taste of London water out of it - we are beyond lucky in this country to have such amazing Engineers that can ensure we all have clean drinking water in every house! - we are talking removing the microbes and pond life from water sources like the actual Thames.
And by getting one for your adventures, you are supporting a company that does invaluable work in disaster relief situations, because however precious you think your Lifestraw is on your odyssey, you can imagine how precious this is for children in refugee camps and disaster zones world wide.
Find out more about Lifestraw's disaster relief action here
- Filters at least 1,000 liters of water (264 gallons)
- Ultralight: weighs only 54 grams (2 oz.)
- Removes up to 99.9999 percent of waterborne bacteria
- Removes up to 99.9 percent of waterborne protozoan cysts
- Reduces turbidity by filtering particles of approx 0.2 microns
- BPA Free and contains no chemicals
- Uses no batteries or moving parts
- Width: 2.5 centimete
- Length: 22.5 centimeter
- Life time: 5 years when stored at room temperature
"One of the Ten Things That Will Change The Way We Live" Forbes (February 2006)
"Invention of the Century" (December 2005)
"Innovation of the Year" Esquire (December 2005)
"Europe's Best Invention" Reader's Digest (July 2006)
"Best Invention of 2005" Time (November 2005)
2008 Saatchi & Saatchi Award for World Changing Ideas
2005 International Design Award
Well-Tech Innovation Technology Award
- No after-taste. LifeStraw has no after-taste, since no chlorine, iodine or other chemicals are used.
- No waiting time. You can drink from your LifeStraw right away. There is no need to wait for water to drip or chemicals to act.
- LifeStraw meets or exceeds EPA standards for efficacy. LifeStraw was successfully assessed in laboratory conditions (harsher conditions than what is required by the EPA in terms of turbidity and organic matter), up to 1600 liters (approximately 160% of design life). Independent testing at the University of Arizona showed that LifeStraw exceeds the EPA requirements of LOG 6 reduction for bacteria and LOG 3 reduction for protozoan parasites.
- Bacteria removed include: Escherichia coli (Coli), Campylobacter, Vibrio cholerae (Cholera), Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Shigella, Salmonella.
- Protozoa removed include: Giardia lamblia (Beaver Fever), Cryptosporidium parvum (Crypto), Entamoeba histolytica.