Our Outdoor Families programme is a year-round programme, connecting families from across London with nature, gradually increasing their range of experiences – from weekend walks exploring local green spaces, through to a weekend camp in the countryside.
Every summer we take families living in London for their first ever camping experience to Green Farm, Kent. For some children, it's their first holiday outside the capital. Family Camping is not just about having a holiday, it's about helping families gain the confidence to go on their own camping trips.
This programme has been running for the last 5 years. Over that time, 107 families have joined Family Wild Walks, 49 families have joined Outdoor Family Camping and 247 children have benefited in direct activities, half under 7 years old.
This year we are running Volunteer Weekends at Green Farm Kent for training and preparation for our Family Camping trips over the summer!
Our first Volunteer Weekend will be on the 23rd - 24th of April. If you are camping with us, you are welcome to arrive Friday 23rd evening, between 5pm and 7pm or on Saturday morning before 10am.
There will be training and activities on both Saturday and Sunday, with a shared campfire dinner on the Saturday evening. Sessions will end by 4pm on Sunday, giving you plenty of time to get home. We ask you bring your own snacks and food for breakfast and lunch on both days.
Weekend Sessions include:
- Introduction to Outdoor People, Green Farm Kent and Pearce Coggan Foundation
- Organising, stock checking, maintaining, repairing and proofing outdoor gear
- Rota organising for Family Camping trips
- Menu planning for Family Camping trips
- Planning activities for the Family Camping trips including (but not limited to) story-telling, foraging, adventures and outdoor play, arts and crafts and visiting farm animals.
- Introduction to Outdoor Play and Learning
- Safeguarding training
- On-site code of conduct, campfire and waste management training
- Shared campfire dinner!
For more information about becoming a family camping volunteer, visit this page. If you would like to apply to volunteer with us, please fill in this form. Or to find out more, email email@example.com.